Sometimes the dye pot plays tricks on me. Most of the time, these tricks turn out to be happy accidents. A chance blending of colors or colors behaving in ways I didn't predict. Recently I was finishing up a long dyeing session and wanted to use up some dyes. It was a case of toss them together on top of some extra bits and see what happens.
Yellow with splotches of red. Be still my heart! The colors are brighter in real life (my pictures always look washed out when I post them to my blog - so vexing!). The fiber is 15.5 micron merino. That is squarely in the cashmere range for softness with a 3 inch staple length. Hubba hubba! This fiber may be my latest BFF (Best Fiber Friend). I think it will take a trip through my wheel tonight.
Another Happy Accident came from a large dye pot full of fibers. I had intended to get a red, a nice semi-solid. Instead I got a variegated red to peach blend. A new colorway, called Winesap, was born. (This may help to explain why I have over 100 named colorways.) On my way past the spinning wheel I tripped and 14 lovely ounces of BFL got spun up into a 3-ply worsted weight.
Fiber (again with the washed out picture issue):