Today has been like a conversation constantly interrupted. A bit like my blogging of late. And my knitting. And my spinning. Sigh.
I have made progress on the handspun sweater. Now that the fleece is all picked, I have started playing with blends. With my trusty hand cards I tried six blends and spun them up into itsy-bitsy mini skeins. I did my default weight which is a sport to DK weight as a 2-ply.
Pay no attention to the bits of white fiber. I used some BFL top in between the different samples to keep them separate. I wound off each as a separate center-pull ball and plied from both ends.
I wanted to figure out several things: would the two fleeces spin to the same weight in my I'm-not-thinkin'-just-spinnin' mode, do I want a two color sweater, and what colors of silk do I blend with each of the fleeces.
The proof is in the knitting (click for big). From the left: lac-dyed fleece with pink & yellow silks, lac-dyed fleece with brown & pink silks, madder-dyed fleece with yellow & pink silks, madder-dyed fleece with yellow & brown silks, all of the fibers well blended, all of the fibers not as well blended.
I learned that the lac-dyed fleece is too pink for my taste. I like pink, but I can't see wearing a pink sweater. I like the color of the madder-dyed fleece for a sweater. I really like all the fibers blended together, especially when they aren't fully blended.
I'm going to blend them all together like this swatch. I like the way there is subtle variation. The pink is downplayed and bits of silk come through where it isn't completely blended. I didn't comb the fleece so it still has the short fibers making pink and orange slubs here and there. I like this texture. A lot.
The next step is to get out the drum carder and start making batts!
At some point I'll decide what kind of sweater I'm going to make. All I know is that it will be a cardigan; I'm not much of a pull-over kinda gal.
I used my basic sock pattern and my toe-up gusseted heel. I am such a dork, I can't remember how to do anything even the stuff I make up. I had to print off my own tutorial for the heel. I printed the pdf version and was grateful I'd done a pdf version. I guess I'm not such a dork after all.